Monday, April 27, 2009

Crime Maps Online

People who know me know that I’m a bit of a crime buff (is that the right term?). I’m really interested in using GIS to solve crime and crime mapping. I have what some may call a “sick fascination” with GIS and crimes. I think this might be why I watch Num3ers on a regular basis (always hoping that they will do geographical analysis and frequently rewarded with some type of spatial analysis).

Safe City Mississauga has crime maps available for the City of Mississauga. I look at this site about once a month to see if there are any crimes of note in my area. I can find out that there was a B&E (Break & Enter) at a home not far from mine near the end of March. This type of information fascinates me and I hope to get the opportunity to find our more about crime tracking and mapping one day – who knows, maybe I can become a spy. Personally, I think it’s very important to know about all the crime occurring in your own neighbourhood – it’s where you live after all!

Today I came across an article for Battle Creek, MI that connects crime in neighbourhoods but also allows residents to track the status of complaints in real time. I hope that Mississauga implement a more detailed mapping application soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment